Site Map




Planning For Incapacity Frequently Asked Questions

Estate Law

~ Estate Planning

~ Estate Administration

~ Estate Litigation

~ Probate & Probate Litigation

~ Trusts & Trust Litigation

~ Guardianships

~ Conservatorships

~ Last Will and Testament

~ Living Will

~ Power of Attorney

Family Law

Criminal Defense

Bankruptcy Law

Foreclosure Defense

Business Law

Real Estate Law

Law Offices of
Jeffrey A. Herzog, P.A.

3106 ALT US 19
Palm Harbor, FL 34683

Toll Free: (866) 789-4002
Phone: (727) 789-4000
Fax: (727) 789-4002

Estate Law Attorney & Lawyer legal services for the following areas:

Palm Harbor
New Port Richey

Hillsborough County
Pasco County
Pinellas County

Safety Harbor
Tarpon Springs
Port Richey

The longer one waits to obtain the legal advice and services of an experienced attorney or lawyer in legal matters; the ability to achieve a successful or desired result may be dramatically reduced.

Palm Harbor Estate Planning Attorney & Lawyer providing professional Estate Planning and other Estate Law legal services in Palm Harbor, Clearwater, New Port Richey, and the surrounding Southwest Florida communities.

What is a Durable Power of Attorney?
Who can create a Power of Attorney?
Who may act as an agent under a Power of Attorney?
How does an agent use a Power of Attorney?
What is a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care?
What is a Living Will?
What is a HIPPA Authorization?

Q: What is a Durable Power of Attorney?

A durable power of attorney allows you to carry on your financial affairs in the event that you become disabled. Unless you have a properly drafted power of attorney, it may be necessary to apply to a court to have a guardian or conservator appointed to make decisions for you when you are disabled.  This guardianship process is time-consuming, expensive, often costing thousands of dollars and emotionally draining.

There are generally two types of durable powers of attorney: a "present" durable power of attorney in which the power is immediately transferred to your attorney in fact; and a "springing" or future durable power of attorney that only comes into effect upon your subsequent disability as determined by your doctor.  When you appoint another individual to make financial decisions on your behalf, that individual is called an "attorney in fact". Anyone can be designated, most commonly your spouse or domestic partner, a trusted family member, or friend.  Appointing a power of attorney assures that your wishes are carried out exactly as you want them, allows you to decide who will make decisions for you, and is effective immediately upon subsequent disability.

Back to the top.

Q: Who can create a Power of Attorney?

Generally, any individual over 18 years of age who a resident of the state in which it is created and who is legally competent can create a power of attorney

Back to the top.

Q: Who may act as an agent under a Power of Attorney?

In general, an agent may be anyone who is legally competent and over the age of 18. Often, it is a family member such as a spouse, sibling or a child. While more than one person can be named as an agent, naming two or more individuals to act together can prove inconvenient, especially if a power of attorney must be exercised promptly. It is usually more prudent to name one individual as agent and then another as an alternate.

Back to the top.

Q: How does an agent use a Power of Attorney?

Your agent presents the original power of attorney document to the other party involved in the transaction and signs documents on your behalf.  Your agent signs his or her own name, followed by the words "Attorney in Fact for Bob Jones”.

Back to the top.

Q: What is a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care?

The law allows you to appoint someone you trust - for example, a family member or close friend to decide about medical treatment options if you lose the ability to decide for yourself.  You can do this by using a "Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care" or Health Care Proxy where you designate the person or persons to make such decisions on your behalf. You can allow your health care agent to decide about all health care or only about certain treatments. You may also give your agent instructions that he or she has to follow. Your agent can then make sure that health care professionals follow your wishes and can decide how your wishes apply as your medical condition changes. Hospitals, doctors and other health care providers must follow your agent's decisions as if they were your own.

Back to the top.

Q: What is a Living Will?

A Living Will informs others of your preferred medical treatment should you become permanently unconscious, terminally ill, or otherwise unable to make or communicate decisions regarding treatment. Almost all states have instituted living will laws to protect a patient's right to refuse medical treatment.  Even if you receive medical care in a state without living will laws this document is useful to a court trying to decide what an unconscious patient would want. In conjunction with other estate planning tools, it can bring peace of mind and security while avoiding unnecessary expense and delay in the event of future incapacity.  

Back to the top.

Q: What is a HIPPA Authorization?

Some medical providers have refused to release information, even to spouses and adult children authorized by durable medical powers of attorney, on the grounds that the 1996 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, prohibits such releases.  In addition to the above documents, you should also sign a HIPAA Authorization Form that allows the release of medical information to your Agents, your Successor Trustees, your family and other people whom you designate.

Back to the top.

We would also like to hear from you, so please contact us via telephone Toll Free at: Toll Free: (866)-789-4002 / Locally: (727) 789-4000, or email with any questions, comments, or concerns that you might have.  In addition, feel free to contact us if you would like to schedule an appointment.

If you require professional legal advice and representation in Palm Harbor, Clearwater, New Port Richey, and surrounding Southwest Florida counties, make sure your legal rights are protected by seeking the legal advice of an experienced attorney & lawyer.

Contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey A. Herzog, P.A. today by calling Toll Free: (866)-789-4002 or Locally at (727) 789-4000 to schedule a confidential legal consultation.

Call Us Now Toll Free: (866)-789-4002 / Locally: (727) 789-4000

Palm Harbor Estate Planning Attorney & Lawyer providing professional Estate Planning and other Estate Law legal services in Palm Harbor, Clearwater, New Port Richey, and the surrounding Southwest Florida communities.


Home  •  Jeffrey A. Herzog  •  Daniel Todd Dean  •  Family Law  •  Criminal Defense  •  Bankruptcy Law  •  Foreclosure Defense  •  Estate Law  •  Business Law  •  Real Estate Law  •  Divorce / Dissolution  •  Custody / Visitation  •  Parenting Plan / Timesharing  •  Child Support  •  Spousal Support / Alimony  •  Child  Adoption  •  Child Relocation  •  Child Paternity  •  Mediation  •  Modifications  •  Division of Marital Property  •  Domestic Injunctions  •  DUI Defense  •  Drug Charge Defense  •  Felony Crime Defense  •  Misdemeanor Crime Defense  •  Criminal Traffic Defense  •  Traffic Violations  •  Juvenile Crime Defense  •  Domestic Battery / Violence  •  Burglary Defense  •  Theft Defense  •  Robbery Defense  •  Assault & Battery Defense  •  Sex Crime Defense  •  Homicide Defense  •  Weapons Charge Defense  •  White Collar Crime Defense  •  Probation Violation Defense  •  State & Federal Charges  •  Criminal Appeals  •  Chapter 7 Bankruptcy  •  Chapter 13 Bankruptcy  •  Estate Planning  •  Estate Administration  •  Estate Litigation  •  Probate & Probate Litigation  •  Trusts & Trust Litigation  •  Guardianships  •  Conservatorships  •  Last Will and Testament  •  Living Will  •  Power of Attorney  •  Business Formations  •  Contract Disputes  •  Business Transactions  •  Business Litigation  •  Tax Liability  •  Faq. - Estate Planning  •  Faq. - Estate Taxes  •  Faq. - Planning for Incapacity  •  Faq. - Business Law  •  Faq. - Real Estate  •  Residential Real Estate Law  •  Landlord Tenant Disputes  •  Deed Transfers  •  Contact Us

Law Office of Jeffrey A. Herzog, P.A., has been publicly recognized for the quality of legal content we provide consumers by:  Tampa Attorney Guide

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask the lawyer to send you free written information about their qualifications and experience.


Copyright © 2007 All Rights Reserved.  Jeffrey A. Herzog.       Web Design by: Tiger Paw Media

Palm Harbor Florida Family Law & Divorce, Criminal Defense, Business Law, and Real Estate Law Attorney & Lawyer, Serving Palm Harbor, Clearwater, New Port Richey, Hillsborough County, Pasco County, Pinellas County, Trinity, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Oldsmar, Odessa, Holiday, Zephyrhills, Port Richey, and everyone in between.