Site Map




Business Law Frequently Asked Questions

Business Law

~ Business Formations

~ Contract Disputes

~ Business Transactions

~ Business Litigation

~ Tax Liability

Family Law

Criminal Defense

Bankruptcy Law

Foreclosure Defense

Estate Law

Real Estate Law

Law Offices of
Jeffrey A. Herzog, P.A.

3106 ALT US 19
Palm Harbor, FL 34683

Toll Free: (866) 789-4002
Phone: (727) 789-4000
Fax: (727) 789-4002

Business Law Attorney & Lawyer legal services for the following areas:

Palm Harbor
New Port Richey

Hillsborough County
Pasco County
Pinellas County

Safety Harbor
Tarpon Springs
Port Richey

The longer one waits to obtain the legal advice and services of an experienced attorney or lawyer in legal matters; the ability to achieve a successful or desired result may be dramatically reduced.

Palm Harbor Business Law Attorney & Lawyer providing professional Business Law legal services in Palm Harbor, Clearwater, New Port Richey, and the surrounding Southwest Florida communities.

What is business law?
What factors should be considered in choosing the type of business form for my business?
What is the difference between a subchapter C and S corporation?
What does it mean to “pierce the corporate veil?"
What is the difference between a joint venture and a partnership?
What is a non-profit corporation?
How often should a corporation hold meetings and update its minutes?
Is it a good idea to have a Buy-Sell Agreement?
What does involved in a corporate merger?

Q: What is business law?

Business law encompasses the many rules, statutes, codes, and regulations that are established which govern commercial relationships and provide a legal framework within which businesses may be conducted and managed. Business law is highly diverse and includes areas such as:

• business formation and organization
• transactional business law (contracts)
• business planning
• business negotiations
• mergers and acquisition
• divestitures

Back to the top.

Q: What factors should be considered in choosing the type of business form for my business?

Although there are many important things to think about when choosing a business form, some of the main considerations include your preference of tax treatment, how you intend to capitalize the business, whether you plan to issue stock and trade it publicly, how you intend to structure the management of your business and issues surrounding the liability of the business owners, among other things. It is very important to plan your business and to work closely with someone who can help you choose the business form that will meet your needs.

How can a properly established business entity such as a corporation shield me from personal liability for business debts and obligations?
Personal liability arising from business obligations can devastate the accumulated wealth of a lifetime of work. Personal liability may extend to business losses, but other obligations may also reach individuals, including:

• Damage awards in lawsuits
• Tax penalties
• Back wages and benefit payments

Limited liability offered by corporations and other business entities shelters business owners from personal liability. Nonetheless, if an owner or director performs certain personal acts, behaves illegally, or fails to uphold statutory requirements for corporate status, he or she may face personal liability despite the corporate shelter.

Back to the top.

Q: What is the difference between a subchapter C and S corporation?

The Internal Revenue Code allows for two different levels of corporate tax treatment. Subchapters C and S of the code define the rules for applying corporate taxes.

Subchapter C corporations include most large, publicly-held businesses. These corporations face double taxation on their profits if they pay dividends: C corporations file their own tax returns and pay taxes on profits before paying dividends to shareholders, which are subsequently taxed on the shareholders' individual returns.

Subchapter S corporations meet certain requirements that allow the business to insulate shareholders from corporate debts but avoid the double taxation imposed by subchapter C. In order to qualify for subchapter S treatment, corporations must meet the following criteria:

• Must be domestic
• Must not be affiliated with a larger corporate group
• Must have no more than one hundred shareholders
• Must have only one class of stock
• Must not have any corporate or partnership shareholders
• Must not have any nonresident alien shareholders.

Additionally, after a business is incorporated, all shareholders must agree to subchapter S treatment prior to electing that option with the Internal Revenue Service.

Back to the top.

Q: What does it mean to “pierce the corporate veil?”

Sometimes, courts will allow plaintiffs and creditors to receive compensation from corporate officers, directors, or shareholders for damages rather than limiting recovery to corporate assets. This procedure bypasses the usual corporate immunity for organizational wrongdoing, and may be imposed in a variety of situations. The specific criteria for piercing the corporate veil vary somewhat from state to state and may include the following:

• Courts may not allow owners to benefit from a corporation’s limited liability if the underlying business is indistinguishable from its owners.
• If a corporation is formed for fraudulent purposes.
• Courts may impose liability on the individuals controlling the business if a business fails to follow certain corporate formalities in areas such as record-keeping.

Back to the top.

Q: What is the difference between a joint venture and a partnership?

Joint ventures and partnerships share certain characteristics. A joint venture is a sort of partnership where two or more entities join together for a particular "short term" purpose. In both partnerships and joint ventures, each partner has equal ability to legally bind the entire entity. A partner can represent the entire organization in the normal course of business and his or her legal actions on behalf of the joint venture or partnership create legal obligations.

Though the powers of individual partners in a partnership or joint venture can be limited by agreement, such agreements do not bind third parties. Because business contacts outside of the partnership may have no knowledge of the limitations, they may be entitled to rely on the apparent authority of an individual partner as determined by the usual course of dealing or customs in the trade.

Back to the top.

Q: What is a non-profit corporation?

A non-profit corporation is a corporation formed to carry out a charitable, educational, religious, literary, or scientific purpose. A nonprofit corporation doesn't pay federal or state income taxes on profits it makes from activities in which it engages to carry out its objectives. This is because the IRS and state tax agencies believe that the benefits the public derives from these organizations' activities entitle them to a special tax-exempt status.

The most common federal tax exemption for nonprofits comes from Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, which is why nonprofits are sometimes called 501(c)(3) corporations.

Back to the top.

Q: How often should a corporation hold meetings and update its minutes?

Any time a corporation undertakes a major change or transaction, it should be reflected in its minutes. In addition, meetings of shareholders and directors should take place at least annually if for no other reason than to elect new officers and directors. Failure to adhere to the formality of regular meetings can jeopardize the corporation's ability to shield its officers, directors and shareholders from personal liability for the corporation's actions.

Back to the top.

Q: Is it a good idea to have a Buy-Sell Agreement?

Corporations with more than one shareholder should seriously consider a buy-sell agreement. A shareholder's death, divorce, disability or termination of employment can create serious problems for a corporation and its other shareholders. A buy-sell agreement can help minimize these problems by providing for an orderly succession in such plans. Similar provisions are recommended for partnership.

Back to the top.

Q: What does involved in a corporate merger?

Like most corporate law, mergers are regulated at the state level. While these laws vary by jurisdiction, many aspects of the merger process are the same across the nation. Generally, the board of directors for each entity must initially approve a resolution adopting a plan of merger that specifies the names of the entities involved, the name of the proposed merged company, the manner of converting shares of both entities, and any other legal provisions to which the corporations agree. Each entity notifies all of its shareholders that a meeting will be held to approve the merger. If the proper number of shareholders approves the plan, the directors sign the papers and file them with the state. The secretary of state issues a certificate of merger to authorize the new corporation.

Each state has its own corporate statutes that govern the procedure for mergers. Furthermore, state or federal agencies may wish to investigate the potential anticompetitive effects of a proposed merger. Because of the requirements and variables involved in merging, a corporation considering a merger should consult a lawyer who is experienced in mergers and acquisitions law.

Back to the top.

We would also like to hear from you, so please contact us via telephone Toll Free at: Toll Free: (866)-789-4002 / Locally: (727) 789-4000, or email with any questions, comments, or concerns that you might have.  In addition, feel free to contact us if you would like to schedule an appointment.

If you require professional legal advice and representation in Palm Harbor, Clearwater, New Port Richey, and surrounding Southwest Florida counties, make sure your legal rights are protected by seeking the legal advice of an experienced attorney & lawyer.

Contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey A. Herzog, P.A. today by calling Toll Free: (866)-789-4002 or Locally at (727) 789-4000 to schedule a confidential legal consultation.

Call Us Now Toll Free: (866)-789-4002 / Locally: (727) 789-4000

Palm Harbor Business Law Attorney & Lawyer providing professional Business Law legal services in Palm Harbor, Clearwater, New Port Richey, and the surrounding Southwest Florida communities.


Home  •  Jeffrey A. Herzog  •  Daniel Todd Dean  •  Family Law  •  Criminal Defense  •  Bankruptcy Law  •  Foreclosure Defense  •  Estate Law  •  Business Law  •  Real Estate Law  •  Divorce / Dissolution  •  Custody / Visitation  •  Parenting Plan / Timesharing  •  Child Support  •  Spousal Support / Alimony  •  Child  Adoption  •  Child Relocation  •  Child Paternity  •  Mediation  •  Modifications  •  Division of Marital Property  •  Domestic Injunctions  •  DUI Defense  •  Drug Charge Defense  •  Felony Crime Defense  •  Misdemeanor Crime Defense  •  Criminal Traffic Defense  •  Traffic Violations  •  Juvenile Crime Defense  •  Domestic Battery / Violence  •  Burglary Defense  •  Theft Defense  •  Robbery Defense  •  Assault & Battery Defense  •  Sex Crime Defense  •  Homicide Defense  •  Weapons Charge Defense  •  White Collar Crime Defense  •  Probation Violation Defense  •  State & Federal Charges  •  Criminal Appeals  •  Chapter 7 Bankruptcy  •  Chapter 13 Bankruptcy  •  Estate Planning  •  Estate Administration  •  Estate Litigation  •  Probate & Probate Litigation  •  Trusts & Trust Litigation  •  Guardianships  •  Conservatorships  •  Last Will and Testament  •  Living Will  •  Power of Attorney  •  Business Formations  •  Contract Disputes  •  Business Transactions  •  Business Litigation  •  Tax Liability  •  Faq. - Estate Planning  •  Faq. - Estate Taxes  •  Faq. - Planning for Incapacity  •  Faq. - Business Law  •  Faq. - Real Estate  •  Residential Real Estate Law  •  Landlord Tenant Disputes  •  Deed Transfers  •  Contact Us

Law Office of Jeffrey A. Herzog, P.A., has been publicly recognized for the quality of legal content we provide consumers by:  Tampa Attorney Guide

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask the lawyer to send you free written information about their qualifications and experience.


Copyright © 2007 All Rights Reserved.  Jeffrey A. Herzog.       Web Design by: Tiger Paw Media

Palm Harbor Florida Family Law & Divorce, Criminal Defense, Business Law, and Real Estate Law Attorney & Lawyer, Serving Palm Harbor, Clearwater, New Port Richey, Hillsborough County, Pasco County, Pinellas County, Trinity, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Oldsmar, Odessa, Holiday, Zephyrhills, Port Richey, and everyone in between.